NANOG TRAVEL POLICY
In service of NANOG’s mission, we’re dedicated to keeping the organization’s operating expenses to a minimum — including travel assistance and expense reimbursement to participants of the NANOG College Immersion Program (NCI) and fellowship recipients.
When traveling on behalf of NANOG, we expect all individuals to act in accordance with the following policy. Any exceptions to this policy must first be cleared with the NANOG Executive Director.
TYPES OF TRAVEL EXPENSES ELIGIBLE FOR REIMBURSEMENT
NCI participants and fellowship recipients are to book their own airfare, with the airline of their choice, using their own credit card. When booking airfare, we ask that participating individuals select a reasonable economy fare from the airline of their choice. NANOG will establish this by reviewing the average airfares of the major airlines at the time of booking.
- NANOG reimburses domestic and international, non-refundable, round-trip, economy fares up to $500 USD (including baggage fees) from the individual’s home city to and from the meeting.
- All other upgrades to domestic economy fares must be paid by the individual.
- If the individual wishes to combine their NANOG travel with personal travel, NANOG will only reimburse airfare to and from their home city and the meeting. Additional flights or stopovers as part of the individual’s personal travel will not be reimbursed.
- Fully refundable or changeable fares are not covered. NANOG will only reimburse for costs incurred due to personal emergencies, or changes made to a NANOG itinerary, at no fault of the individual.
Unless otherwise noted, NANOG’s Director of Meetings & Events will book hotel lodging for NCI participants and fellowship recipients for all NANOG-sponsored meetings, events, and retreats:
- For the duration of the meeting or event the individual is participating in, up to the following departure date. For example: If the meeting begins on a Monday, the participating individual will be provided a hotel on Sunday evening. If the meeting ends on a Wednesday, they will be provided a hotel through Wednesday, if travel permits. If necessary, they will be provided a hotel through Thursday morning.
Local Ground Transportation
We encourage NCI participants and fellowship recipients to carpool and rideshare together when possible. For all other forms of local ground transportation, NANOG reimburses up to $30 USD max, each way:
- Cab or rideshare fares to and from the individual’s home and the airport.
- Cab or rideshare fares to and from the airport and hotel in the city a meeting takes place.
- Additional local ground transportation costs, including:
- Mileage (when using a personal vehicle)
During meetings, NCI participants and fellowship recipients will have access to breakfast and lunchtime meals provided by NANOG. Exceptions include:
- When purchasing meals at other times during NANOG-approved travel (e.g. in the airport, on the airplane, or on trips not associated with a NANOG meeting, event, or retreat), we ask that you keep within the national Meals & Incidentals Per Diem rates for the state(s) you’re traveling to. Please indicate the reasons for these meals on your expense report.
- When purchasing dinnertime meals during NANOG meetings and events, your per diem will be reduced by $25 because breakfast and lunch are provided. Example: Washington DC M&IE for 2019 is $76. During NANOG meetings and events, your per diem would be $51.
- Alcohol is not an expense covered by NANOG. Note: From time to time, alcohol may be served at NANOG events and third-party socials. Any participating individual under the legal age of consumption for the jurisdiction where the event is being held (generally 21 years old) must not consume any illegal substances or alcoholic beverages no matter the source.
HOW TO SUBMIT YOUR EXPENSES
NANOG will reimburse NCI participants and fellowship recipients upon required completion, submittal, and approval of a NANOG travel expense report, accompanied with original receipts for:
- Ground transportation